Like I have mentioned in earlier posts, I taught an incredible group of kids this year. I made a promise to a small few that we would make a trip to the beach sometime this summer. Finding a time was really difficult with tennis and softball schedules and vacations and everything else that occupied the summer… and I was really beginning to doubt if we would even be able to go.
So when Arlene mentioned it last week I still had my doubts. But yesterday morning I showed up to her house to find some of my favorite students piled like sardines into her vehicle. We went for breakfast at Jerry J’s and then headed off to St. Simons.
With the volume cranked to 22, the ride was filled with laughs and singing (hollaring really) and rowing across bridges… ![]()
We parked at the King and Prince but found the tide all the way in. Luckily the pool was open and we were able to cool off before heading to the beach (who doesn’t Arlene Howard know??). I played some pool games that I haven’t played since I was 12 or ever played at all and laughed at the queen of TMI, Liza Hurst.
Finally, the tide had receded enough to head for the sand. We posted up and the girls took off for the ocean. Arlene and I, along with with Patty (Regan’s mom), talked and read and talked all afternoon. It was a gorgeous day, perfect for the beach.
After a few hours our grumbling tummies told us to head out and find food. Patty took her crew on home but Arlene, the girls, and I set out for Mullet Bay. All nine of us doodled for awhile before enjoying some awesome burgers. We took a stroll through the Village where the girls bought matching bracelets and Regan and I played with bubbles.
It must have been telepathy, right Regan? I promise we had no idea we’d match!
It was a fantastic afternoon, topped off when all eight of them danced in the Howards’ driveway. Wop, wop! Peanut butter & jelly!
To the window…
To the wall!
Of course the day was a little bittersweet because I realized once again that this crew were eighth graders now! They are such a great group of girls and I will miss them so much. Especially you kiddo ![]()
And SaraBeth—you’re right. It certainly will be an annual tradition from now 0n.



No comments:
Post a Comment