I LOVE Christmas time, it is probably my favorite time of year. The shopping is fun because I love buying things for other people. The television is great; there is nothing like a snuggly night watching the classics or even new favorites! My favorite part of Christmas, however, is spending time with my family.
Yesterday morning Heath took Ella to Uncle Steven’s house to spend time hanging out. Eliza and I stayed home and got ready for the Christmas Eve festivities at Nana’s. We met Daddy & Ella over at Mema’s house to spend the afternoon. After some lunch and rest we opened some presents. Ella got a pink bus (because she’ll be riding one next year), a Tinkerbell jacket, and Gator golf! Eliza got a tub toy and some stackable pots & pans.
Around 4 o’clock we headed to Nana’s for our traditional Christmas Eve gathering. Heath took Ella (with some other cousins) to see the 18 new baby goats at Uncle Jerry and Nita’s. 18 baby goats!!! When they returned they iced and decorated a Happy Birthday Jesus cake. Aunt Linda even put candles on the cake and we all sang Happy Birthday to Jesus!
Of course a family gathering at Nana’s isn’t a real gathering unless we eat well. There was chicken and shrimp and oyster stew and hush puppies and crab stew and cole slaw… the dessert table was so big it was on it’s own in the laundry room!
Afterwards we attempted to take our family photo, especially since Jill is leaving soon to be a missionary in South Asia. Everyone then gathered around for our traditional gift exchange (this used to be for adults and great-grands, but in the last few years have just exchanged between the kids’ kids). Eliza drew Joshua’s name and we bought him the game Operation. Ella drew Lily’s name and we bought her a Little People pink car. Ella received a Gigi movie from Kellen and Eliza got a Alphabet bus from Lily. Nana and Granddaddy’s goody bags were then distributed—and my goodness at the treats! Ella’s bag had a puzzle and purse and some Chex mix and fruit and candy. Eliza’s had lots of yummy goodies, from puffs to Nilla wafers and a banana. Nana knows my little girl loves to eat!
While the younger kids ran around and played, me, Jill, Sara, Kami, Aunt Cheryl, and Nana sat down to play a few games. First we tried the classic pick up sticks (which I totally stink at). Then Nana brought out Upwards (I was much better at the word game than the strategy game).
Daddy took a very tired Eliza home while I finished up the game with the girls. Ella and I headed home soon after and got ready for a bed and Santa Claus. While Daddy “went to sleep,” Ella and I laid down and read the Christmas story from her Bible and “J is for Jesus.” We then said her prayers, thanking God for the wonderful family we have and getting to spend time with each of them. After our amens, as I was leaning over to turn on her humidifier, Ella says “Mom, guess how much I love you…”
“How much” I ask.
“I love you 28. You know what Mom?”
“What Ella?”
“You’re my best friend.”
“You’re my best friend too Ella. And you know what? That was all I needed for Christmas.”
In the words of Chris Tomlin on his Christmas CD in my car,
My soul, my soul, magnifies the Lord,
He has done great things for us, great things for us!
My soul, my soul, magnifies the Lord,
He has done great things for us, great things for us!
You can view our Christmas Eve pictures here.



No comments:
Post a Comment