Friday, May 18, 2012

Forget the Optimist

Today was awful, and considering that it was the last day of the school year that's a really strange thing to say.

Today was just an awful kind of last because it was the last day for some of my favorite people. No, they're not leaving permanently, just leaving my everyday life. Some people would argue that things won't change but I know better than that.

Our new teammate Cole is moving to eighth grade after only one year with us. He has been so much fun to have across the hall, from discussing ninjas to ifunny exchanges. I know that having another man around has been good for Brandon too (I mean, his many wives does one man need?!?). I hate to lose him! Awful.

One of my best friends is also transferring to eighth grade too. Laurel and I have taught and coached together for 6 years. We have laughed and cried together, shared coffee duties, and watched our little girls become best friends. Losing her is like losing a piece of myself!

And as for the remaining piece of my school heart... a large part is also going to the 9th grade. Of course she's ready to go; I, on the other hand, can't believe it's time for her to move on. She's so grown now and I know that she will love high school and there will be another (or lots) of teachers up there that love her like I do. But they don't Regan! To top off the evening I sat in the stands at graduation and thought about how that chapter of her life is so close. Ugh.

Awful. Just awful. Can someone please just stop time for a little while?!? The optimist in me is being drowned out by the toddler who really just wants to get what she wants... the people I love to stay right where they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment