Sunday, November 28, 2010

Crazy Love

I love my church and I love working with the youth on Sunday nights. I REALLY love my Sunday School group though. We have been reading and doing a study on a book entitled Crazy Love by Francis Chan. Today was our last day of the study and I thought it might be important to do a little personal review…

  • Stop Praying. It’s time to stop the empty recitations I call prayers. While there is nothing wrong with “God is great, God is good…”, I need to be reminded that my communication called prayer is with a holy, eternal, all-knowing, all-powerful, fair and just Creator of the universe.
  • You Might Not Finish This Chapter. If all of time was captured on film, the part played by my life would be 2/5 of a second long. Thus the need to set aside worry and stress because both imply the belief that I can’t trust God with my circumstances. My life is but a vapor and no one is promised tomorrow. Every day is extraordinary…
  • Crazy Love. As much as I love Ella & Eliza, God loves me MORE. Now, as a mother who loves my girls with my WHOLE being, this is a very hard concept to wrap my mind around. So too is the idea that God doesn’t need me but still wants me, while I desperately need God but don’t really want Him most of the time (p. 61).
  • Profile of the Lukewarm. I cannot assume I am good soil (p. 67). A relationship with God simply cannot grow when money, sins, activities, favorite sports teams, addictions, or commitments are piled on top of it. Am I satisfied with being “godly enough” for heaven or just being “better” than others?
  • Serving Leftovers to a Holy God. Following Christ isn’t something to be done halfheartedly or on the side. It’s not a label I can display when it is useful (p. 94). I can’t assume I am on the narrow way…
  • When You’re In Love. Jesus, I am not strong enough to love you or live for you on my own. I want you, and when I don’t, I want to want you (p. 111).
  • Your Best Life…Later. I have to do things that cost me in this life; God doesn’t want me to play it safe. Life is not able what I have or do compared to someone else. How am I spending myself?
  • Profile of the Obsessed. There has to be more to my faith than friendliness, politeness, and kindness (p. 130). Those obsessed with God are lovers, risk takers, a friend to all, CRAZY, humble, servants, givers, sojourners, engrossed, unguarded, rooted, dedicated, and sacrificial.
  • Who Really Lives that Way? Average, everyday people like ME can make a biblical and Godly impact on the world. If I call myself a Christian, I am called to live a radical, love-motivated life.
  • The Crux of the Matter. I have to learn to listen and obey God in a society where it’s easy to do what’s comfortable. Am I living and planning like there is no God at all? How will I answer the King, “what have you done with what I have given you (p. 175)?”

I have written the last ten bullets (one for each chapter) in first person to remind myself that these points—all of them—speak to me. Thank you, Francis Chan, for reminding me that the Creator of the Universe IS seeking me relentlessly and that He wants the same from me. Thank you Heavenly Father for pursuing such an unworthy being. May my life begin to reflect who you’d have me to be a little more clearly now.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! That book made me take a look at how I do things. And I LOVE our Sunday school class also.

    ReplyDelete